Tuesday, March 8, 2011

New VFT I Bought for Parts

I bought a VFT in January just to try propagating new plants from via leaf pullings. I was too scared to try it with VFTs I already have and am attached to. So I bought it and put it under my lights. They say VFTs don't do well indoors.

Well I knew it would happen. And it happened. I'm attached to it. I should repot it and/or do some leaf pullings, though.

VFT I bought for parts in January, 2011.  March 8, 2011.
I'm going to snip the flower stalk to help the health of the plant. I'll stick it in some peat and see if it will propagate a new plant.

But look how nice and red the insides of those traps are!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad somebody gets as attached to plants as I do. Not sure if a flower stalk is the best bet for propagation, but I s'pose it's worth a try if you're going to snip it, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the best bet, no. Leaf pullings are the best bet with VFTs. But it works from flower stalks, too. Just not as quickly or as reliably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You use any rooting hormone? (I don't know how that'd work with plants as sensitive to chemicals as these are.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I'm not. It doesn't hurt VFTs, but I read that it doesn't make much difference if you use it or not, pullings will strike either way. Maybe it would have helped my flower stalk propagation attempt It's looking pretty dry now.

    ReplyDelete