Sunday, February 13, 2011

My D. capensis Seedling Container

I took pictures during some of this little project, but I forgot to post about it.

I had a couple flower stalks full of seeds and rather than let them go to waste, I decided to put a container together and just sow them and see how they do. I started with a roughly casserole-sized plastic container I got at the dollar store. I put LFS on the bottom in anticipation of wanting to use the tray-watering method in the future. Then peat/perlite on top of that.

I kept it covered with the included blue lid to keep humidity up so they could germinate. Then I got a little worried, thinking maybe they'd rather have white light, so I took off the blue lid and used Saran. They germinated shortly after, and I moved them up to under some lights, but not before making them tray-waterable.

Hopefully the pictures and captions can tell the rest of the story:

My pointiest bit in my cheap AA-powered screwdriver.
Putting holes into the bottom of the plastic container, while using my other arm to apply pressure downward across
the container.

Cue to get a paper towel.
Heck
Paper towel catching all the drips.
Seedling container in its new home in a watering tray.
This helps to reduce the amount of evaporation out of that watering tray, too, because of less surface area of the water exposed to the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment