Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Lock Pick Pitcher and Aphids

Bringing my plants in tonight, I noticed more of my pitcher plants are putting up pitchers. The shape of a new pitcher looked so familiar to me, and then I realized why. It looked like a lock pick. So I put the pot of Sarracenia leucophylla " Tarnok" aside to photograph it with a lock pick. I got my lock pick, got my camera, went to take a picture, and I saw them.

Aphid.

More aphids.

'nother aphid.

'nother aphid.

More aphids.

More aphids.

'nother aphid.

I consulted my The Savage Garden book, and saw that it recommends Orthenex. Then I remembered that I already own Orthenex, from the time I bought it for my butterwort, which didn't like it very much at all (butterworts are sensitive). The book did say to avoid aerosol sprays, and that's what my Orthenex is. The internet told me Orthenex has since been taken off the shelves for being too toxic. Good ol' Jeff Dallas from Sarracenia Northwest's YouTube video talked me into going out and buying Bayer's Rose & Flower Insect Killer, feature Imidacloprid. Except he could have talked me into it better by telling me what the product itself was.

Went out to Walmart, got it, came home, and sprayed all my pitcher plants and VFTs, even though I only saw one affected pitcher plant. I hope it doesn't harm 'em. I should have gotten under the leaves of the VFTs better, I bet.

Oh, and

Lock pick and Sarracenia leucophylla "Tarnok"

3 comments: